Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Aurora's Friend (Sleeping Beauty)



I have done so much for this particular studio so it's so hard to remember how this tutu was came together.  I made the bodice and skirts, that's for sure.
The bodice was originally white.  It was made for Chopiniana.  So there were 20 or more white bodices laying around, after we had Swan Lake, we started recycling them.  
Aurora's friends are sometimes more regal looking.  I guess when you think about it, they must be some royalty of sort to be friends with Princess.  But this production, the friends lead the Garland Dance, so we kept them in peasant like costumes.  



The flower was changed to more muted kind for the show.   (Picture on top)


Now that I tried to remember, I think the romantic tutu was the one form Chopiniana also.  This was 5 layered white tutu.  I dyed the skirt pink.  But instead of just put the skirt in a pink dye bath, I dyed the inside 3 layers in one kind of pink, and 2nd layer form top in Yellowish color, and first layer in different kind of pink.  Layering different colored tulle give the depth to the tutu.  Just like the impressionist layered the different paints to achieve one color, I love doing this with tulle.







1 comment: